- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoons MinkDog's Maple Sugar (granulated can be substituted)
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 11/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 2 cups buttermilk, plus more as needed
- 1 Egg (for brushing biscuits)
- Fresh assorted berries
- As much MinkDog’s Maple Heaven as you dare!
Maple Heaven Biscuits
Here at MinkDog Manor, we appreciate the humble avocado toast or fresh fruit smoothie as a nice, healthy, balanced breakfast. But we also know that it’s equally important to throw all that out the window every now and then to satisfy our sweet tooth.
Our Maple Heaven Biscuits are aptly named, as one bite will send you flying into the atmosphere towards those white gates in the clouds. These fluffy treats are the perfect carb-filled vehicle to transport our deliciously sweet MinkDog’s Maple Heaven onto your taste buds.
Luckily, these are as easy to create as they are to eat, and you don’t need any special tools or ingredients to make it all come together. It’s the perfect recipe for a Sunday morning brunch that you’ll dream about all Saturday night.
- Pastry cutter (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Sift flour, salt, MinkDog’s Maple Sugar and baking powder together into a large mixing bowl and toss in cubed butter.
- Cut the butter into the flour using a pastry cutter, forks, or your fingers. Take care not to overwork and warm the dough. Once the butter pieces are at the size of walnut halves, create a well in the center of the bowl and add cold buttermilk. Gently mix together to create the dough.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently press into a 1-inch thick square, then fold the dough in quarters and chill for 5-10 minutes. Press the chilled dough into a 1-inch thick square, and cut into desired biscuit shape, about 2.5-3 inches in size.
- Transfer biscuits to baking sheets, and refrigerate for 15-30 minutes. Brush chilled biscuits with egg wash.
- Bake the biscuits for 17-22 minutes, until risen and golden brown.
- Let cool and serve with MinkDog’s Maple Heaven as a spread and fresh berries.
The hardest part of this entire recipe is letting these guys cool once they come out of the oven. But before they do that, we suggest brushing the tops with melted butter and sprinkling on some MinkDog’s Coarse Sea Salt before they cool. The aromas will tempt you to dig into them right away. But good things come to those who wait!
These biscuits make the perfect standalone breakfast for a cozy weekend morning, but they’ll also make a solid companion for traditional eggs and bacon. Or you can get the best of both worlds by cutting the biscuits in half and making your own sweet and savory breakfast sandwich.
You don’t need to reserve these for just the morning hours, either. Overperform at your next Thanksgiving potluck by bringing these as a shortcake with whipped cream, or wind down before bed with biscuits and tea. These treats are meant to be shared — you just run the risk of everybody begging you for the secret recipe.